COMPASSION CLUB 2019-20 | Back: Norah Yoder, Advisor Leanne Bender, Aidan Yoder, Esther Hughes, Leah Bontrager, Sarah Miller Middle: Malia Sedlacek, Kennedy Roth, Julia Boller, Evelyn Gerber, Grace Miller, Meredith Blossom Front: Sarena Gerber, Jimmy Yusuf, Yuli Montes de Oca, Ainsley Shaw
Hillcrest Academy’s Compassion Club puts peacemaking in action. They keep us aware of needs locally and globally and facilitates giving to a wide variety of organizations. Two children, Daniel Ardiano Pol from Guatemala and Dayana Imaicela Acaro from Ecuador are sponsored through Children International. Our sponsorship entails providing funds for their schooling, medical care, clothing and household needs, plus gifts of money to provide for needed items at Christmas, Easter and on their birthdays. For two children our responsibility is close to $1,300.
Some ways the Compassion Club has earned money include sponsoring many Comfy Clothes for Compassion days, Spirit Week which included a senior/faculty game, and a cake walk and a silent auction. They also gathered school kits for MCC, towels and personal supplies for Haiti, worked at the Crowded Closet and gave food for the local food banks. Other charities the compassion group has given to include:
- Shelter House, Iowa City
- Empower Haiti
- Leukemia/Lymphoma Society
- Kalona & Wellman Food Pantry
- Mennonite Central Committee
- Kid’s Against Hunger
- Operation Back Pack for the local elementary school
- Children International (to sponsor our two children)
- Scholarship Program at Village Schools International in Tanzania (Gary & Joanne Grenell, parents of former students at IMS, work at the Idigima Secondary School near the village of Idiwili in the region of Mbeya in Tanzania).
- Syrian families